Mushroom Barley RisottoDecember 7, 2021
Thai Curry Noodle Soup with Crispy TofuFebruary 15, 2022
Flavourful White Chicken Chili made with hearty beans, tender chicken, and a rich and creamy broth.
hen we're craving something hearty but also healthy, this chicken chili immediately comes to mind. The chickpeas make it heartier than your average chicken noodle soup and the jalapeños add just the right amount of spice. We love topping with corn and some tortilla chips for that added crunch factor!
White Chicken Chili
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small jalapeno seeded and finely diced*
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 large chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 can creamed corn (14 oz)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 can chickpeas or white beans (14 oz)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese*
- whole wheat bread for serving
- Fresh corn
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced jalapenos
- Fresh cilantro
- Cheddar cheese
Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add in the onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until they are translucent and tender. Add in the garlic, jalapenos, chili powder, and cumin. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add in the chicken breasts, creamed corn, and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
Remove the cooked chicken and place in a medium bowl. Using two forks, shred the meat. Set aside.
In a small bowl combine the cornstarch with 1⁄4 cup water. Add the mixture into the pot and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened. Add in the chicken, chickpeas, cilantro, and cheddar cheese. Cook for another 3-4 minutes to make sure that everything is heated, and the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper.Divide the chili among serving bowls and add any desired toppings. Serve with whole wheat bread. Enjoy!
*You can leave the seeds in the jalapeno if you enjoy spicy food
*Make this recipe dairy-free by using non-dairy cheddar cheese
- This recipe can also be made in an instant pot. Follow the above directions, but instead of simmering for 15-20 minutes, pressure cook for 25 minutes
- To make this chili extra creamy, you could add in a cashew cream. Simply, soak cashew in water for a minimum of 4h or overnight. Then blend them with 1⁄2 cup milk of choice. Add in the cashew cream along with the chickpeas, chicken, and cheddar
Recipe by Kristen Chan.